7.23.2018

Shawna Pini



What first brought you in the doors of CrossFit King of Prussia?
 I suppose this is one of those instances where a series of unfortunate events lead to something wonderful. Sadly, much of my family has passed due to heart disease, and one day my cardiologist called and told me my triglycerides were high - not totally alarming for a regular person, but could be the start of something concerning for a person with my family history. All I know about CrossFit was that it got people fit - FAST. I didn't even know they used barbells! I literally did no research, but I just knew really fit people did CrossFit. So, I did a Google search and the top result was CFKoP. I made an appointment that day, and the rest is history! Never looked back. I remember telling myself I would do this until I was healthy, no matter how much I hated it. Luckily for me, I love it. It is without question the best thing I have ever done for myself, and my life is exponentially brighter because of it.

What has kept you consistant? 
I enjoy pushing myself, and surprising myself by what I am able to accomplish, but what keeps me coming back is seeing what others can accomplish as well. We celebrate each other, and that sense of community has been the most rewarding.

What advice do you have to newer athletes? 
Focus on learning form correctly! It's much easier to learn the right mechanics and work your way up in strength and speed than to try to unlearn a bad habit! 2. Don't get down on yourself. The second you do, it stops being fun. And who wants to dedicate themselves to something that's not fun everyday?! Appreciate that you have done something good for mind, body, and spirit, and keep showing up!

What would you tell someone thinking about joining our community?
This is not just "a gym". It's where I have found the best of friends, gained confidence, cleared my mind, celebrated life events, been a shoulder to lean on, and so much more. The members are warm, caring, inspiring, and motivating, and the coaches are second to none because they are truly dedicated to our goals and well-being. I have seen a lot of people come and go over the years, and one common theme is humility. Those with large egos don't last long, but those who can appreciate their limitations and drive to succeed find their place here very quickly!

No comments: