10.01.2021

Athlete of the Month - Geoff Young


Geoff--- and his pull-up bar!


 Age 
I turned 50 this year

Home town
  Haddon Township, NJ

Did you ever play any sports?
  Not really.  I became a lot more active in my 40s, and I was 45 when I started CrossFit.

Hobbies
  Right now I'm doing a lot of 3D printer tinkering, and my summer project was building a custom printer from scratch.  Other than that, does bourbon count?

Goals for 2021/2022
  Between the pandemic and turning 50, my main fitness goal these days is to just keep showing up.  I hit what will probably be my lifetime fitness peak about 3 weeks before we all went on lockdown during a CrossFit Total day at my old box (895# :)  When we were all on Zoom together in those first few months it was easier to mentally write off the loss of progress, but as time wore on it got harder and even a little darker.  I hit reset, though, and now have my post-50 PR tracker, and figure if I keep showing up I can keep hitting new (post-50) PRs.

What do you love about CF KOP?
  I'm extremely grateful that CF KOP has continued to support me over Zoom, even now that it's pretty much just me each day.  I'm not sure I would have kept up with fitness on my own, and to still be part of a community and get active coaching adds an accountability that I wouldn't otherwise have, and without which I probably would have left it all behind months ago.  I'm really looking forward to being at CF KOP again in person one day so I can get to know more than the 5 or 6 people I actually met face to face :)

Do you have a favorite Coach?
  That's like asking if I have a favorite child :). Oh, wait...

Favorite WOD/Skill or Lift?
  I'm very lower-body heavy with my strength, so when back squats or deadlifts show up in a WOD I get excited.  There was an 8 week strength cycle where we did 20RM back squat every Friday and I don't think I've ever looked forward to a WOD more than those.

Least Favorite WOD/skill or Lift?
  Burpees and snatch, without a doubt.  

If you could create your own dream WOD, what would it be?
  At my old box the coach programmed 20 back squats - 4000m row - 20 back squats for time (Rx 225#) and that one is probably my favorite WOD ever.  It was also one I went back to and re-tested on my own over the next year in open gym just so I could keep upping my PR.  Unfortunately, I don't have a rower at home, so if the coaches at CF KOP decide to work that one in I'll be stuck with DU practice as usual.

No comments: