10.01.2014

October Athlete of the Month



 Congratulations John King




Congratulations John King

Hometown:
McLean, VA

Current Location: Wayne, PA

Age:45

Occupation: Sales for Johnson & Johnson

College: Drexel University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 3 years.  Funny story how I became aware of crossfit.  I was on a flight in July of 2011 from Nashville to Boston or something like that and this guys sits next to me.  He was totally ripped and we started talking.  He asked what I did,  and I told him I worked for J&J, I mentioned to him “you must be in the sports world or athlete of some sort”.  He told me he did crossfit ( I did not know what that was) and he had won this competition, so he was flying to Rebook HQ to sign a deal.  I got home and googled my new acquaintance named Rich Froning….. had I only known.

Did you ever play sports?  Yes I played football from the time I could walk and based off the fact that I was 5’1” and 95 lbs freshman year of high school – the years of technique served me well as I continued to play through high school.  I also enjoyed running– I went to Junior Olympics for Cross Country the summer before my freshman year in High School.  I have always been competitive in most things that I do, so crossfit seems to fit right in.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share?  I play golf - not very well, like to trail run, and enjoy wine. Un-cool hobby is likely my interest in stocks and actually listen to CNBC on way to work every day – with some Howard Stern mixed in.

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit?  I think my biggest achievement is working crossfit as an integral part of my life.  I actually schedule my work around crossfit because it provides me so much energy and confidence during my day. I really like competing and some of my achievements would be doing fairly well in a few of the local competitions – I visit a lot of boxes when I travel and it is nice when someone underestimates you and then some middle aged bald dude walks in the box and pulls off a pretty good wod.

What do you feel that you still need to work on?  I literally need to work on everything.  For the first two years of crossfit I continued to get better just doing wods.  About 2 years in I got frustrated as I did not see progression and really went into a mental lull for a few months as others began to beat me in wods.  I realized then that having fun verse always comparing to others was the only way I was going to stick with it.  I also realized that if I want to get better from here I really need to spend the time working on specific movements – and if I cannot make the time for that – then don’t get too upset about performance. 

Goals for the rest of this year?  I entered the CMC this year and was really proud to get a top 5 finish overall and 2nd for masters.  Would love to get a podium finish at some masters events – but there are some fit old dudes out there that make that a real challenge.

What's your favorite WOD?  Anything that is a metcon with some shoulder to overhead and some running or burpees is my deal. I am on the board for one of the ladies wods and I think it had these components.

How about your favorite food/snacks?  I am really into these protein bars called “Quest Bars”  they have a ton of fiber and protein – just make sure you drink lots of water with all the fiber.  My downfall is wine – I have 3 small kids and wine is necessary!

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done?  Nothing crazy  -  a few trail runs, CMC’s, Ugly Mudders.  I am going to think about putting a Spartan race on the calendar next year – they are pretty tough from what I understand. I am interested in doing the burpee  / broad jump mile if anyone is game.

What’s your least favorite WOD?
Karen – and I am relatively good at wall balls, it is just such a mental and physical workout.

Favorite lift/movement? My favorite lift and movement is anything shoulder to overhead.  For some reason I am strong there.

What’s your least favorite lift/movement?
DEADLIFT – I hate it.  Supposedly I have “dead butt” which is so flattering.  I can clean 200# and Dead lift 275# – something is wrong! Also my kettle bells are really ugly.

What skill have you been working on in 2014 the most ?  I have been learning to walk on my hands.  I am actually getting the hang of it – can do about 20 feet and would love to master this – seems so freeing to just walk on your hands…….someday MU’s.

What’s your favorite piece of workout "gear"?  Chalk!  Gets me at least another 10 lbs!

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF?  I started Crossfit after having two degenerative disks in my back.  I literally could not put my socks on, was on pain killers and just a real mess.  I went to rehab or multiple rehabs, finally found someone who knew what they were doing – he fixed my quality of life.  He told me something different than anyone else – he said lift weights and get stronger – just do it right. This was about the time I met Rich Froning on the plane – got home Googled crossfit, then saw this pretty young lady coach at KOP (sorry Jason) and made the phone call – I have had no back pain ever since.

Who is your favorite coach? Of course like every other AOM there is no single favorite.  Mike T. is awesome with techniques for Olympic lifts and has a keen eye in this area.  I enjoy the appearance of Jason as he really tries to break you down and likes to use words like “boobies” and “snatch” which is always entertaining, Jason also calls you out for mentally giving up which is really important. Miranda does a great job with mobility and spends a lot of time with the am group providing really good form set up and warm downs.  Timmy P.– he knows how to push people.  He can tell when I am wimping out a bit and calls me out – he really can get me taking less bullshit rest during a wod.  Paul is just a pain in the ass – he is a great coach that makes sure your squat is a squat, or your dip is a dip, there is no range of motion if you want RX.  Steph has helped me with my dead butt and is really skilled at the OL’s.  Overall they are all great – hate to leave anyone out – they are the reason I come to KOP.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?..
Every achievement is exciting – was happy to get a bunch of lifts over 200lbs, actually getting better at DU’s – can’t hang with Pete W. on DU’s, but no one can.  My nutrition is much better – started crossfit weighing 200# now 185# and I get comments from friends on how much better I look – which is always nice.  At some point I will give up wine and go full Paleo….ha joking!

14 comments:

Mike S said...

John, congratulations! This recognition is so well-deserved. With your great balance of competitiveness, performance, friendliness and spirit, you consistently exemplify what CrossFit is all about. I'm glad to have gotten to know you over the last few years, and always look forward to seeing you at the gym. Best wishes for continued success in achieving your goals!

Mike T. said...

King, this is well deserved, my bald brother. You come to the gym ready to give 100% to every workout. Keep up the good work you handsome devil.

Stasie F said...

Congratulations King! Nice recognition for a nice guy who shows up consistently and does the work! Way to represent box masters.

Unknown said...

Congrats John. Your intensity, drive and commitment are impressive and you've made incredible gains over the past few years. I wish my schedule allowed me to work out with you guys in the morning. Keep doing what you're do!

Unknown said...

Congratulations King, well desrved! I haven't had many opportunities to coach you, but I definitely can absolutely attest to you toughness and to you crushing workouts!

Joy N said...

Congratulations, King!

Shawna said...

Way to go King! Congratulations!

Aimee Lyons said...

Your work ethic in classes is great!! Keep up the amazing work!

Mark C said...

Congrats, John! A well deserved honor. I always enjoy working out with you and appreciate your drive in pushing through workouts. There are two pieces of information I look for when I don't go to a morning session: 1) how did Pete do, and 2) how did Kimg do.

Mark C said...

Oops. King! (Not KiMg) :)

Pete W said...

congrats King! well deserved, i always look forward to our morning competitions!

Kathleen said...

King that's a great write up I was highly entertained reading it. I can't believe you met Rich Froning! If only he could see you now! Congratulations on ATOM, you have certainly earned the honor!

Gina Spinelli said...

You rock King, so well deserved. Love working out with you in the am.

Jason Lyons said...

Don't tell anyone but you are my rabbit and inspiration. Ridiculously proud of you!