1.01.2020

Athlete of the Month: Mae Torres





Get to Know Mae... Q &A:

Hometown: Philadelphia PA

Current Location: King of Prussia PA

Age: 55 Occupation: Environmental Insurance

College: St Joe’s

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 3 years

Did you ever play sports? Rowed for 20 years, refereed for 12 years, Muay Thai for 7 years

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Stained glass (lead poisoning explains a lot) travel, mountain climbing (Kili, Mt Blanc) but now doing more travel hiking like the end of the Camino & the West Highland Way last year.

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? Not falling off the GHD. Working through injuries and figuring out how to not overdue it which also leads to injuries which is huge Learning that squat cleans are way easier than power cleans which means that I can now like cleans (previously hated). So now I can just not like snatches so much.

What skill(s) had you been working on all during 2019, and did (it)they become a success ? Clean love fest but now am in remedial double unders. Really 3 years!

Goals for the 2020 year? Toes to Bar. Absolutely want to be able to do more of the gymnastic elements because they look like fun. When you don’t grow up doing things like that you really just want to find the way. And my shoulder is better this year!!! Doing the Open RX masters And if we really want to be optimistic double unders.

What's your favorite WOD? Manion - hiker legs are perfect for so many squats. Any workouts that includes deadlifts in any way, weight or number - love them. But lately I am lovin’ the chippers mostly because I think they really do help my fitness overall and I finally feel like I can last through them. Well most of them.

How about your favorite food/snacks? Perfect bars. Chocolate peanut butter.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Hiking up mountain in snow through the night for multiple nights.

What’s your least favorite WOD? Any WOD that requires me to use a white boards to remember what comes next - I always mess up the order and then do too few or too many and have to make up something. Justin knows!

Favorite lift/movement? Deadlift. It is one of the few I can usually RX with ease. Again hiker legs 

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? I would not call it least favorite but I struggle with the gymnastic workouts mostly because I have no rhythm. I would love love love to do a handstand push up and not crush my head or do that flick on the bar muscle ups that bumps you over the bar

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Gear is my weakness !!!!! Having climbed for so many years I have a penchant for cool gear Here I love my weight belt because it actually works and I feel like some MMA fighter who has won the prize when I put it on.

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Slowly figuring out how this all works together. The workouts, the nutrition, learning the best way to take care of your body so you can last a long time and not get sidelined. Really what I am saying is I want to be Gordy.

Who is your favorite coach? Everyone. I came here when I was at my worse health wise (sleeping maybe an hour or two a night) and just not happy and Aimee helped me figure it out along with Dr Turner. they brought me back to healthy and balanced This year with injuries I am especially grateful for all the coaches who always found a solution that got me to where everyone else in class was. I feel like every single coach is in on your personal goal and getting you there even though we are all at different places and that to me is amazing Plus they a just fun and talented and they makes you want to come to class always.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. FS 133 BS 170 still working on nutrition and hopefully balancing work life with real life

No comments: