3.01.2019

Athlete of the Month: Lea Walsh




Get to Know Lea

Hometown: Cleveland (the Paris of America)

Current Location: King of Prussia

Age: 23

Occupation: Mortgage Broker, Account Manager at United Mettle (the really convenient pro shop we have in the lobby)

College: Notre Dame College

How long have you been a CrossFitter? In college my strength and conditioning coach put me through some CF workouts, but I didn't do my first (known) WOD until 1/30/18 when I did baseline with Steph. My lungs were on fire and I knew I had to come back immediately.

Did you ever play sports? I tried pretty much every sport available in Cleveland when I was growing up. High school I played basketball, volleyball, and rugby. I played college rugby on scholarship at THE Notre Dame (of Ohio).

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? I really love hanging out with my family, reading, videography / editing videos, fitness for quality aka "Bro Stuff", and most importantly hanging out with my little bub Oliver @KingOliverWalsh on IG. He's the best.

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? I can think of a lot of fitness related things, but my favorite achievement has been meeting such great people and making really good friends. I was having a hard time adjusting to moving away from home but being surrounded by everyone at KOP has made this a great experience.

What skill had you been working on all during 2018, and did they become successes? I wanted to learn to handstand walk, just because it looks so cool to be able to do and requires A LOT more coordination that I thought. I really improved but I still need to work on being consistent with them especially in the middle of a workout.

Goals for the 2019 year? My biggest and most ambitious is to win a competition. I am working on muscle ups - either bar or rings I won't be picky. I'd like to get 10 strict pull-ups (I've gotten 5 so far with the help of Evie's accessory work, and now Jenna is helping me the rest of the way). I want to start weightlifting and possibly compete in a meet for fun. I'll stop there because otherwise I'll keep going.

What's your favorite WOD? Anything low skill that just requires me to work, and probably the 9/11 or hero WODs because I think it is special we dedicate workouts to the service and memory of our military / police / fire / emt / etc.

How about your favorite food/snacks? My favorite food is probably pizza, and my favorite snacks are prosciutto, boom chicka pop, or raspberries.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Conditioning for a college rugby national championship.

What’s your least favorite WOD? I can't think of one specifically, but if it has any of my least favorite movements then it probably falls under this category.

Favorite lift/movement? DB step ups, DB overhead lunges, squats, bike/ski/row erg, and a lot more. It's easier to list what I don't like.

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? handstand push-ups, thrusters, and double-unders. I have a love-hate relationship with burpees. They are very effective at making me die.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Probably my EXO knee sleeves ($49.99 a pair at the pro shop https://umettle.com/collections/accessories/products/exo-knee-sleeves-5mm-black-camo). 

What do you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Showing up to workouts I know I won't be great at - and doing it anyways with a positive attitude.

Who is your favorite coach? (first off, I love you all) Jenna, Evie, and Aimee are my favorites. Evie pretty much sets me up to PR every time there is a strength day - she tells me what to put on and I just do it. I think Jenna is one of the best at helping me scale appropriately and giving cues that are easy and effective. Aimee... well, because it's Aimee. Especially when she watches just for a few seconds so you know you have to MOVE.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights? I'm really happy about my 205# 1rm front squat a few weeks ago and a 315# deadlift at Festivus!

No comments: