1.26.2010


Kelly.


Jim.


Justin. How did you rest mid WOD?


Kim Jackson, D.O.

W.O.D. 1.27.10

"The BEAR Complex"

You have 5 rounds to find your max weight at:
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Push Press
These exercises must be done in succession without putting the bar down for seven times through the sequence.
You may rest as needed between rounds.
Contact with the floor must be touch-and go during sequences.
Rest anywhere but the floor.

Please take 5 minutes to watch the video so you know what to expect.

(compare to 9.2.09)

Video:
The Bear Complex (wmv)(mov)

Free January:
7:30PM with Kim Jackson...Many of us are sensitive to the foods we are eating without knowing that we are. This can tax the immune system and the body's natural defenses to disease. Food sensitivities can also hinder your recovery from Crossfit WODs and limit your athletic performance. She will be discussing some of the more common food sensitivities, as well as how to find out any sensitivities you may have. This is a FREE seminar, everyone is welcome!

Whole9 Workshop:
Click here to register.

Quote:
The measure of a man is way he bears up under misfortune”
-Plutarch

Results:
Steve 43
Steph 85
Jen S. 80x5
Nick 75
Granny 75
Jim C. 130x3
Megs 75x4
Donkey 60
Kevin 83
Cindy 68x3
Jason 135x4
Shawn 135x5
JZ 95
Aimee 105x2
Patti 53
Kelly 53
Jeff 120
Han 95x2
Mike F. 115
Kristen 55x6
Vincent 95
Nikki 100x6
Maura 45x3
Kerry 85
WW 95x5
Kathleen 35x5
Steve 135x5
Jerry 115x1
Mom form
Laura 73x6

17 comments:

Mike F said...

This workout is absolutely awful.

donkey said...

quite a ringing endorsement, Mike F. i just watched the video and have to agree, it looks extra evil.

Nikki said...

The bear complex is so much fun!! Haha - someone had to counter all that negativity before it got out of hand :)

Dorothy said...

I was going to run a 5K today, but I might just try this at my work's gym. At least there's no overhead squats involved.

Can anyone suggest a good weight? I'm thinking of starting with just the 45 lb bar. I might just stay there throughout. Any suggestions?

Nikki said...

Dorothy - start with 45# and go up from there. Based on what I've seen you can definitely do more than 45! Start with the bar, then go up to 55#, and then decide whether to keep going up by 10's or 5's. Since you'll be doing this alone, here's a word of advice - after the front squat, when you push press overhead and place the bar on your back -- be careful!!! Bend at the knees as you receive the load so that the bar doesn't crash down on your vertebrae. Trust me - that can really hurt!! And as you get tired it's more and more likely to happen.

Anonymous said...

ok loved tjhe bear this AM! Forgot how great it feels after a morning WOD! But I realize that I cheated myself this AM after relooking at the blog! I screwed up and did sets of 5 instead of 7. so please put a big 5 next to my score! I may have to do this at an open gym now!! The bear gave me passion marks on my chest, back, and thumbs even with the mistake!

Jen S. said...

This workout is definatly a great challenge. Dorothy - I started with 45 and went up by 10's but only went up by 5 on my last round. So I think you should judge on where to start based on where you want to be at round 5. And maybe use the first round as a "practice" round - that's basically what I did by using the bar as my first round.

Aimee Lyons said...

Affiliate Cup Registration opens on 2/1.

http://games2010.crossfit.com/affiliatecup/affiliate-cup-team-registration-opens-feb-1.html

I will register a CFKoP Team...we can discuss the team and have a "try out" in order to select the athletes.

I am aware of a bunch of you who have interest, please make sure I am aware if this is something that interests you!!!

Jason Lyons said...

Cool post on the Affiliate Blog today. Here is the link...

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2010/01/10-ways-to-be-a-better-crossfitter/

I particularly like, "I don't care if you are Joe Thruster with a sub 3-minute Fran, if you half-ass a workout, you are a pussy." LOL

It is also important to read the rest of the paragraph because what he says is so true, it does not matter what the weights and time are as much as the effort given. Give it all, all the time.

Dorothy said...

I pussed out because I didn't have the "right clothes" for working out inside. Went outside for a run. That is a lame excuse.

Nikki said...

My favorite line so far - "CrossFit is constantly varied, so the odds are that you will see some workouts you hate. That’s why it’s CrossFit and not alltheshityoulikeFit."

Anonymous said...

great article jason...It DID inspire a blog post :-)

http://radicalhateloss.blogspot.com/2010/01/accept-suck.html

Cindy Handler said...

Great link Jason ... that one's a keeper!

donkey said...

i <3 the complex bear. and i'm TAKING A REST DAY TOMORROW.

side note: anyone want to invade bally's KOP this weekend sometime and do a WOD like barbara or something that won't be too disruptive to the globo peeps? i'm still a member through through april. saturday's probably a bad day, but maybe sunday late morning-ish?

Jen S. said...

I heart the pic of Justin :) You're a rockstar!

Laura Pappas said...

Laura - 73x6+

Aimee Lyons said...

gotcha Laura- sorry bout that!