4.08.2013

Get to know your coaches- Vinny


1.    How long have you been doing Crossfit?
I’ve been doing Crossfit for 2½ years officially.  However, I have been doing the elements of Crossfit as long as I can remember.  I started weightlifting at 18 and have always been an athlete and a runner (even though I despise it).  I enjoy all of the elements of athletic training, but it wasn’t until I found Crossfit that they were all in one place.

2.    What certifications do you have?
CrossFit Level One Trainer, CrossFit Olympic Lifting, CrossFit Football

3.    What future certifications do you want to get?
CF Mobility is a must.  I would also like to take the Powerlifting and Coaches Prep courses.   Maybe something non CF too…like something from USA Weightlifting  just to get a balanced perspective on things.

4.    What are your favorite things to coach?
This may sound cocky, but that’s nothing new, I like coaching movements that I am good at!!  I feel like the more I can relate to the movement, the more I can understand what goes wrong when an athlete is performing it, and therefore help to correct mistakes.  When I first started, my knowledge was limited to mostly bench press and pull-ups of course.  But after getting some good experience, I feel like I am all over the dead lift and squat as well.  I’ve noticed some athletes really responding to queues and corrections which makes those moves really fun to coach!!

5.    Why do you like coaching?
I like coaching because it gives me a chance to affect people’s lives.  Maybe just for an hour or so per day, but I think sometimes it goes beyond that.  I believe that the most important thing in life is living it to the fullest.  If we aren’t taking advantage of our strengths, as well as recognizing our weaknesses, we aren’t living our lives to the fullest.  Whatever path or direction you choose, your physical being is crucial.  You may as well have a bad ass physical being, and I love helping people get there.

6.    How would you classify your style?
Aggressive, I guess.  I’m loud, honest and I challenge people to get out of their comfort zones.  I have a great relationship with most people at the box because I coach morning, evening and weekend classes. I also WOD with the group more often than not.  Being close to everyone allows for comfortable relationships and open lines of communication, which has led our athletes to results and some fun, all at the same time.

7.    Other interests outside of Crossfit?
Team sports, mountain biking and being outside in general.  I like to play guitar and sing when Sarah isn’t home too!

8.    What are you top 2 Crossfit goals for 2013?
Help KOP get back to regionals and achieve a front rack position that looks like Coxhead’s.

9.    Favorite Crossfit memory?
Watching Plentus and Danny storm into WOD 1 at the 2012 regionals.

10. What's your "day" job?
      I am an insurance appraiser for a major insurance company; I guess I help people 
      in some small way.  But really, I get a lot of vacation time and have a free car!! 

11. What would you be doing for exercise without Crossfit?
I actually enjoyed my time at the globo gym and had some success, so I would be back there.  Maybe I’d join a rock gym or go back to playing men’s league football too.

12. Favorite cheat foods?
Pepperoni pizza, but that might not count as a cheat food since it’s a staple in my diet.

5 comments:

Paul S said...

Your awesome Vin.

Gina Spinelli said...

Vinny,
I always appreciate your constructive criticism. You are a pretty funny guy and you never know what is going to come out of your mouth next. Which is pretty great bc that makes for some great Vinnyisms. Thanks for all your help on Wednesday mornings!

Coxhead said...

Key to a good front rack will require you to get smaller arms vin diesel.

Anonymous said...

Vinny, you're energy is infectious. You're motivated and totally into crossfit and your enthusiasm is a huge positive for the Box. Thanks for being a great coach and a great guy.

Brian R

Chris P. said...

Vin, sorry, I am on the road and my phone doesn't see the blog right. People know you for your ridiculous one liners and massive biceps, but there's a lot more to you. I'm glad you found CrossFit; I think it's important for your ego to be challenged and the response of you wanting to get better at things is a good one. I had fun competing with you at Regionals and hope you get back there soon. Glad you are featured!

P.S. For those that haven't heard him, Vin is a mean guitar player!