12.03.2019

Athlete of the Month: Jon Pistilli





Current Location: Chalfont PA (40+ mins away from the box)

Age: 42

Occupation: Finance

College: Wester Chester University (WCU)

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 7 years ish (although no 5 year bag)

Did you ever play sports? Football and Basketball

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? I love to snowboard and I am really good at it (sorry no video to upload) Snowboarding is what got me doing CrossFit. I realized in my early/mid 30s that my then current routine of exercise consisting of golfing on the weekends, beer league softball 2x a week, bowling on Monday nights (2 seasons), sprinkled in with 3 days a week at the gym to work on chest and biceps was not cutting it to stay fit to hit the slopes as I would like. A guy at work showed me a video of the games and the next day I joined a box and have been hooked ever since.

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? I have three!!! 1) Winning King and Queen was awesome, especially considering the level of competition. Following my win I moved away from individual comps as I realized I wouldn’t be able to put forward the same level of commitment to training that won me the title with my growing family and didn’t think that was fair to the sport. Now I just do team comps (Froning). 2) Beating Pam G (“Pan”) in a long distance run at a comp at NEPA Crossfit (since it was a comp with judges it was official) earning me the title of AVS Runner / Co-Captain. It was a very impressive win, was trailing for the entire race and came from behind with a few hundred yards left to take the win. Hopefully TP’s endurance training can help her. 3) Co-founding AVS with Mike Sims (left the box a year and a half ago b/c of his hit role on the TV show the Golbergs). AVS was our way of giving back to the CF committee by helping people (Pan and DD) win Crossfit comp titles, For a short stint, we were ranked #1 in the CF scaled division in the NE PA region (at least that is what we told ourselves). Mike and I have since done well in none scaled comps, winning an open men’s division last May and Pan and I did win a Master’s Comp ($$$ Prize). DD and I realized we don’t partner well in comps (a lot of yelling and finger pointing). Although AVS isn’t as active today (Mike’s acting career, Pan’s Injury and DD being DD) it did result in 3 great long-lasting friendships.

What skill(s) had you been working on all during 2019, and did (it)they become a success ?
Being on time for class…...not successful Working on stringing bar and ring muscles up ………….successful (thanks to PT sessions with Aimee)

Goals for the 2020 year? Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition and mobility Need to get back on the pre made meals (need a replacement for KB kitchen) and need to get a new punch card for pilates reformer classes (mobility and core).

What's your favorite WOD? Anything with heavy clean and jerks, rowing and handstand walks

How about your favorite food/snacks? Love trying new IPAs

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Coaching my daughter’s 8 under girls softball team.

What’s your least favorite WOD? Open work out 20.3 and 18.4. Love handstand walks but can’t get through the HSPU standard to get to it. NO REP!!!! It was also the work out that one of my AVS teammates screamed at me in front of the entire class for no reping them (no not DD).

Favorite lift/movement? Clean and jerk

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? TTB (hence why I need to work on that mobility and core) 

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Arm sleeve (Golfer’s Elbow) and my United Mettle wrist wraps

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Overall Fitness. Night and day where I was before starting CF and continue to hit PRs (see below)

Who is your favorite coach? Keith B.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?. I hit a 255 jerk which was a PR and Goal (over 250). Unfortunately my current nutrition, although not horrible, is not worth highlighting.

No comments: