8.01.2021

Athlete of the Month - Gia





 My name is Giamirka but people call me Gia. 


Originally I am from Venezuela and moved around the states where most of my time was spent in South Philadelphia, now located in East Norriton - I am an Inventory associate at Versant Health - 49 years old soon to be 50! 


Before crossfit I played volleyball and I did gymnastics. 


I have many hobbies like working out, dancing and cooking. Before working out at Crossfit KOP I danced for a group named Casa de Venezuela and Nuevo Mexico. I attended many events and private parties at the time. Cooking is something I love to do. My children always tell me I should open up my own food truck, maybe one day! Crossfit has been my favorite hobby ever since I started. Crossfit has been my hardest challenge but my biggest accomplishment. 


Crossfit has changed my lifestyle for the better. It has challenged me physically and mentally. I love that Crossfit KOP makes me feel at home, especially during the 5:30PM class that is when I attend. I know that it is always a friendly competition. Crossfit has changed my way of thinking with all aspects in my life and it is my one place I go to every week to focus on myself. 


All the coaches are incredible - Since I started Jenna was my favorite coach. She has been there from day one and believed in me more than I believed in myself. She made me feel very comfortable during each and every class even when I thought I was not capable of doing some of the workouts. When Colette arrived there was this presence about her that drew me to her and she is now one of my favorite coaches as well. Colette challenges me to push myself even when I do not want to and there's no better feeling of finishing a workout thinking you doubted yourself when the coach did not. Colette makes each and every class different, fun and she has a fierce energy that does not go unnoticed. 


Favorite WOD - my favorite type of word is when there are multiple reps and rounds - For example - 

( FRAN - 21-15-9 Reps For Time - Thrusters - Pulls up ) 

(The Seven - 7 Rounds For Time - 7 handstand push ups - 7 thrusters - 7 knees to elbows - 7 deadlifts - 7 burpees - 7 kettlebell swings - 7 pull up - ) and my goal is to get to RX in most if not all of my workouts. 


Least favorite WOD - anything that has to do with burpees LOL and double unders - I'm getting there!


No comments: