9.01.2022

Coach Spotlight - Ben Berry



 


How long have you been at CF KOP?


  • I joined CF KOP October 2019, a month after moving back home from DC. 


What made you want to get your Level 1 and start coaching?


  • Aimee asked if I had anything interest in coaching and I initially thought that was a terrible idea. My friends and family that I have known me for years know I do not want to be responsible for other people. But I talked to a few current members at CF KOP and they thought I’d make a good coach. Plus I needed a new challenge in life. I had already done most of the things I wanted to do in my career, so coaching (and coaching something that was still relatively new to me) was an exciting opportunity. 


What's your favorite thing about coaching?


  • I will pick several things:
  • There’s so many things. When Aimee is in my class and she yells “what was I thinking when I programmed this?!?!” Make me feel better that I’m not a as bad of an athlete as I thought haha. I thoroughly enjoy strength and lifting days. When there’s nothing but you and a barbell. When I can get into the details of different grip for deadlifts (double overhand, mix grip, or hook grip). When I see athletes hit PRs (which always happens in my class because athletes hit PRs when the coach is attractive). Seeing athletes get their first BMU, or HSPU, or other gymnastic movements. 



What do you admire about your fellow coaches?


  • it is very admirable how knowledgeable all the coaches are. That’s something I didn’t realize until I would drop into other gyms when I’d travel. There’s a proper general warmup, time for skill progressions and scaling options. I feel completely confident that someone could drop into a class and have a good time. I admire how Keith Bombar controls a room when coaching, while keeping it light with his self deprecating sense of humor. However Keith knows more about the human body than I know about myself. Last year I was talking to a member who raved about the endless information that Keith had in his head. 


How has coaching made an impact on your life?


  • Coaching at CF KOP has had a great impact on my life. I’ve made some friends, gotten to know several members on a deeper level outside of the gym and it’s been great. When I moved back from DC in 2019, most of my friends I grew up with had moved away and all of them had families. Which is great, I’m not complaining, it’s just our friendship has change and I’m happy for all of them. 90% of the friends I’ve made in the area since moving back are from CF KOP. 


No comments: