3.31.2020

April Athlete of the Month: MaKayla Hancock



Get to Know Mak H...

Q &A: For starters...my full name is MaKayla, most people probably don't know that! :)

Hometown: Skowhegan, Maine

Current Location: Manayunk

Age: 27

Occupation: Collegiate Field Hockey Coach at La Salle University

College: Bryant University (undergrad) & Providence College (grad degree), currently enrolled in a masters program at La Salle.

How long have you been a CrossFitter? It was 3 years this past January

Did you ever play sports? I played field hockey, basketball & softball as a kid. Collegiately I played Division I field hockey with my triplet sisters – we all played different positions!

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Whenever I’m asked this question on a date I tell them I like to workout…I think it’s pretty cool!

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? March 29, 2017 I was in a really bad car accident. My ER doctor told me my strength saved my life, but that I had a long way to go before I would be back to my “normal”. I never thought walking, touching my toes, and doing basic yoga movements would ever be big milestones for me, especially in my 20’s. My CrossFit gym up in Boston, where I as living at the time, helped me with my weekly rehab, and on August 14, 2017 I worked out in my first CrossFit class since March 29th. Very modified, but I'll never forget it!

What skill(s) had you been working on all during 2019, and did (it)they become a success? I had been working on stringing together my pull-ups – I don’t know what defines success, but they’re better!
Still got a ways to go!

Goals for the 2020 year? Stringing toes-to-bar and getting better at all gymnastics movements/ upper body strength!!

What's your favorite WOD? Grace or DT

How about your favorite food/snacks? My favorite food is definitely chocolate chip cookies.
Favorite snacks are chips & dip (salsa, guac, etc.), apples &PB, juice pouches. What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? August pre-season conditioning testing/2 practices (sometimes 3) a day …looking back at it, it was kind of crazy! I went swimming in ice tubs voluntarily!

What’s your least favorite WOD? Kalsu – nightmares just thinking about it.

Favorite lift/movement? Power clean

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Probably burpees or running – doing a lot of those two movements lately thanks to Corona.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? a Barbell – really missing it right about now!

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? I’ve always been pretty strong, but I’ve never been able to lift my body and move my body as much or as quickly as I am able to now. Rope climbs, handstand pushups, pull ups, etc. seemed way out of reach when I started CrossFit, but consistency and working on my weaknesses has been a goal of mine since I started, and will continue to be a goal.

Who is your favorite coach? That’s like someone asking me who my favorite athlete is on my team…we all know I have one, but absolutely cannot share that! But, in all honesty…. I’m coached by A LOT of different coaches here at CKOP, and I’m extremely grateful for all of you. You all push me and challenge me in different ways, and are not only incredible coaches, but incredible people. Thank you CKOP for EVERYTHING. When I moved to PA about 1.5 years ago I was SO sad to have to leave my box in Boston. My coaches, the friends I had made, and the home I had created for myself was really hard to leave. When I asked one of my coaches if he knew of a box that I should go to in Philly he immediately said KOP, and told me Aimee would take care of me. And she sure has! I have a HUGE immediate family and I had never lived in a state with no family members in it, so moving to a city and a state with no family near or around me…it was scary. You’ve given me a home and a family nearby and I could never be move thankful. This community is so special. I’m forever grateful for it, and I hope during these crazy times we’re all even more grateful. I hope to see all your beautiful faces soon. Stay safe, stay moving, and keep smiling!

No comments: