11.01.2012

November- Athlete of the Month




Flounder!

Hometown: East Stroudsburg

Current Location: Collegeville

Age: 32

Occupation: Muni-Bond Analyst at Vanguard

College: Philly U 
How long have you been a CrossFitter? Close to 3 years, I am the weirdo who didn't jump in with both feet, I came once a week for almost a year, then twice a week, then finally 3 times a week for the past year or so.

Did you ever play sports? I played soccer until high school, and swam from the age of 5 till college.

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit? Getting a pull up, there was no better feeling than being able to look over the bar for the first time without a band, now if I could just get two in a row.

What do you feel that you still need to work on? There is not enough room here to list them all, but if I had to pick one thing it would be squat depth, yes Jason I know, do more wall squats

Goals for the rest of this year? Dial in my nutrition. I eat 100% paleo 50% of the time, and would like to get that to 80%-90%. I am sucker for free food at work, and there is a lot of it.

What's your favorite WOD? I really don't like any of them, but that's why I come. I would never make myself do any of the WODs on my own. If I had to pick movements that I wouldn't mind in a workout I would pick running, push jerks, and sit-ups. Though Aimee would probably make it some evil rep scheme or 10 rounds to ruin it.
What is the craziest insane workout outside of CF you have ever done? Crossfit is my insanity, my family and friends still look at me funny when I tell them what we do. Though if you tell me there is beer at the end I will do just about anything.
What’s your least favorite WOD? Angie, she is a raging bitch

What’s your favorite lift? I am starting to like the snatch, terrible at it, but it's growing on me

What’s your least favorite lift? Front squats, see squat depth problems and you understand
What skill do you want to work on in 2012 the most? Double-unders, I can get 10 every so often, but getting on the board would be something

What's your favorite foods, and snacks? Beer, especially IPA's, and a good burger

What’s your favorite piece of workout "gear"? My inov-8's, fixed my heel striking ways fast
What do you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Box jumps, I still remember my first workout, not that I am scared or anything, but I could only step on a 13 inch box, now I can do workouts on a 25 inch box, and can get on the 30 inch for a couple reps.

Who is your favorite coach? No PC answer here it's Plentus. He lives, breathes, and eats this stuff. His creativity, whether it be with scaling, warm-ups, etc is amazing. Though I also want to thank all of the coaches for their help, you have assisted me more than I could have asked for.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?... Running a 5k and being able to sprint to the finish, not eating cereal for over 2 years, competing in the 2012 open and the King and Queen of Prussia, 375 dead lift. 7:10 mile. Beating my wife at most workouts.

Thank you, I don't really consider myself an athlete, heck I have never RX'd a workout, but I know I am in the best shape of my life, and I have CFKoP to thank. I love coming to box, complaining about the WOD, then feeling really good about finishing it. I love working out with all of you, and appreciate all of the support I have received from day one. I wouldn’t still be at the box if we’re not for my wife supporting me all while first being pregnant, and now raising Wes. And a special thanks to Mike and Gina for showing us the “Boxswitch” which has allowed both of us to keep coming to the box and not lose our minds.

27 comments:

Wax said...

Congrats Flounder!!

Joy N said...

Congratulations, Flounder!

Paul S said...

Congrats Flounder, Keep up the good work!

Stephanie Vincent said...

You are a top notch guy and a pain in my ass and you totally deserve this. So glad to know you and always happy to have you yelling at me during a workout. You always push me to be better, to give more. Congrats!

Gina Spinelli said...

Congrats Flounder!!

Jeff said...

Congrats Flounder, well deserved!

Chris P. said...

YEAH FLOUNDER! You bring a great sense of humor to the box (albeit dry) and the improvements you've made are awesome to see. In addition, I remember nominating you for AOTM for some weight loss and killing it with some PRs. Keep it up buddy, if Wes could talk he would say how proud he is of his daddy.

Jen S. said...

Congrats Flounder! This is well deserved! I love when we're in class together and you are always motivation and inspiration to me!

Unknown said...

Congrats Flounder!! Stay awesome!

Kate K. said...

Congratulations Flounder!!! I LOVE working out with you...as we beat the heck out of ourselves with jump ropes :)

Kate K. said...

You won my auction and I haven't received any feedback yet. Just hoping you could give me some positive feedback when you get the chance. Thanks!

Kate K. said...

ummm so apparently i posted my husband's ebay message as my second comment. i don't know how to take it off ! Sorry!

Unknown said...

Congrats Flounder! I love when I get to wod with you, you always say something to make me laugh!

Gene said...

Congrats Flounder! Keep it up!

Meighan said...

Flounder I remember meeting you at a BBQ at Transaxle and 3+ years later you are still picking on me.

Congrats on AOTM- you not only continue to work hard but you are always there to push others! Way to drop the non-PC favorite coach club too.

King said...

Flounder congrats on athlete of the month, well deserved! The thing I like the best about you is your ability to berate me (even as you are doing your own wod)as I stare at the bar trying to sneak in a few more seconds of rest, you will chime in and in your own smart ass way you say "stop staring at the bar and just pick it up" - you have helped to push me and I appreciate it - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Flounder,

You are the awesome. You always make me feel better when the wod really sucks. Which it does all the time. Thanks for being there for everyone else in the gym. Its so awesome being able to work out with you!

Sandy

Denise said...

Congrats Flounder! Very much deserved. I love being in class with you because you always motivate me and tell me that I can use more weight, go faster, etc. You are very inspriational! Keep up the awesome work :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Mike P said...

Congrats, Flounder!!!!!

Chloe said...

I agree with Sandy, you are "the awesome"

Kathleen said...

Congrats Founder and well deserved!!!! I will always cherish our early days at crossfit together using Jason's name in vain during most WODs (remember doing rocking horses?). Keep up the great work!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Flounder

Balmer

Olan said...

Congratulations!!! Well deserved.

Flounder said...

thanks everyone, you really know how to make a guy feel special,i look forward to sweating through many more workouts with all of you

Kim G said...

Flounder, Congrats! Your sarcasm and wit (and honesty) push me to work harder. I always enjoy working out with you... Glad you received this honor as you are a great member of KoP!

Stasie said...

congratulations Flounder!