7.01.2016

Athlete of the Month


Congratulations Steph C!


Hometown: Drexel Hill, PA

Current Location: Norristown, PA

Age: 34

Occupation: 2nd grade teacher (just finished my 13th year)

College: Penn State University (undergrad)/ Gwynedd-Mercy College (grad)

How long have you been a CrossFitter?
It was 3 years in May!  I’m not sure whether to be proud or embarrassed by that.  Guess it depends on what the WOD is and whether it looks like I know what I’m doing.

Did you ever play sports?
I rode horses most of my life.  Growing up I worked at the barn to pay for lessons.  I was on the Equestrian Team at PSU and dreamed of having my own horse someday.  Since starting a real job and paying real bills, this has been put on hold.  As a kid, I played baseball and softball for years.  In high school, I played field hockey, lacrosse and track.    

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share?
Well, since you asked…  I love volunteering for the Humane League.  I will leaflet or table events, art fairs, concerts and anywhere there’s a crowd.  Talking to people about eating less meat, helping the planet, and saving animals makes me really happy.  Other hobbies include seeing live music, decorating, writing, reading, watching terrible tv/good movies, and being with my dog (Luxy).  She definitely occupies much of my time outside of work.

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit?
My biggest achievement at Crossfit is doing it, and really liking it.  Also, I feel damn proud when I RX anything.

What do you feel that you still need to work on?
I still need to work on everything.  Literally.  After every WOD I’m thinking to myself “I should really work on that”.  Especially anything with a barbell.

Goals for the rest of this year?
My goals for this year are to spend time outside of WODs working on Olympic lifts and squatting,  My PR’s haven’t really changed in a while and that’s super frustrating.

What's your favorite WOD?
My favorite WODs involve rope climbs and wall ascents.  I’m a fan of short AMRAP’s and chippers with many movements.   

How about your favorite food/snacks?
Ever hear the one about the vegan that does Crossfit?  Which do they talk about first?  Since we’re already talking about Crossfit…my favorite foods are the ones that don’t involve animal cruelty.  If it’s vegan, I will try it.  I love pasta with veggies, Mexican, Thai and buffalo seitan wings.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done?
Crossfit has by far given me the craziest workouts I’ve ever done.  Outside of Crossfit, probably 5K’s were the hardest.  That’s pretty sad, but running is just awful.   

What’s your least favorite WOD?
My least favorite WODs are Jackie, Fran and Karen.  Those betches.

Favorite lift/movement?
Wall ascents!

What’s your least favorite lift/movement?
Burpees, They’re just gross.

What skill are you planning on working on in 2016 the most?
I’m planning on working on double-unders, the Olympic lifts, and squats.  There, now I’ll be held accountable.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"?
I have a jump rope.  That’s pretty much the extent of my gear. 

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF?
My biggest improvements since starting Crossfit are more confidence in my abilities, overall peace of mind from all the fitness, and a bigger circle of friends.

Who is your favorite coach?
I sincerely love all of the coaches at KOP.  Each one has been there for me and helped me grow.  Paul did my fundamentals (with Seshu) and got me hooked in the beginning.  Aimee has created such an amazingly accepting community that offers so much more than just a workout.  She makes everyone feel so welcome and then makes them sweat more than they ever thought possible.  Steph is so full of information and is always willing to answer questions and be honest.  She is one of the most positive people I’ve met and sees the best in everyone.  I always enjoy seeing Keith, Rachel, Jenna, Clayton and Jill.  They have all offered me great advice and been wonderful to complain and whine to.  Unfortunately, I don’t get to see Tim or Jason due to scheduling (and my hatred for running) but I hear they’re fantastic too.  However, my most favorite coach has become Giulia.  She has inspired me to try harder and do more than I ever would have on my own.  Even though she’s a pusher, I am learning what I am capable of because she’s constantly asking for better.  I would have never done the Open again, Girls on Girls, or extra work outside of WODs if she didn’t care so much.  Giuls is an invaluable part of KOP and has a gift for making people feel special.  Thank you to all the coaches!!  

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?
Once, I broke 200 lbs on my sumo-dead lift.  I have recently improved my kipping pull-ups, box jumps, and toes to bar.  I feel better naked.  And most of all, I’m proud to be a No Meat Athlete.  If anyone wants to join me saving animals, just let me knowJ

No comments: