4.01.2017

Athlete of the Month




Congratulations Maggie!

Hometown: Norristown, PA

Current Location: samesies

Age: 24 

Occupation: Math Teacher (kinda)

College: Penn State, UDel, Saint Francis University - yes, all 3

How long have you been a CrossFitter?
about a year and a half 

Did you ever play sports?
Volleyball/basketball/softball in high school. Rugby at Penn State and softball at UDel and SFU.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share?
I'm really good a puzzles and Disney princess trivia. Sometimes I do Calc problems for funsies #mathislyfe.....so definitely the "cool" hobbies.
My aunt runs an entertainment business so sometimes I dress up as characters like Anna from Frozen, Belle, Minions, things like that for kids' parties.
Oh and I kind of like to dance, just a little.

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit in the 2016 year?
Honestly its been all the friends I've made along the way! Don't get me wrong, its awesome getting better at exercising for time but nothing beats having awesome friends that'll last long after Crossfit.

What do you feel that you still need to work on?
E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. For real I have an issue being satisfied with any aspect of any sport. But that's why I like Crossfit; there's always room to improve no matter what level you're at.
I think my weakest area is my endurance, so I'm pumped that those classes are starting again soon! (Hi Tim!)

Goals for the rest of this year?
So along with my cool hobbies already mentioned, I'm a big fan of making "Goal Lists". I won't bore you with them all but a couple are stringing 10 ring MU, cleaning 200#, and back squatting double body weight.



What's your favorite WOD?
Y'all ready for this one?.......FRAN. Yup, I said it. I'm also a big fan of workouts with muscle ups (shocking).

How about your favorite food/snacks?
OATMEAL AND GRANOLA AND DOUGHNUTS AND REESES ANYTHING. CARBS ARE EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN LIFE. Strawberries are cool too.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done?
I can't exactly pinpoint what the workout(s) entailed but there was an incident in college where some girls got in trouble on the softball team for drinking, and we all paid...for a whole week...and then some.

What’s your least favorite WOD?
Let me just say I genuinely love Crossfit. I do it because I truly find the workouts fun. Normally I'd say "DT" hands down is my least favorite, but 17.1 was one of the only workouts I've ever done where the fun was taken out of it.

Favorite lift/movement?
Lift - DEADLIIIIIFTS
Movement - Muscle Ups (you could've guessed that)

What’s your least favorite lift/movement?
Overhead Squats are everything that's wrong with the world. Also, rope climbs and kettle bell swings can go.

What skill are you planning on working on as the new year 2017 is here?
I really need to fix my Olympic lifting technique! It is getting better, but we got a loooooooong way to go.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"?
Probably my grips. They let me practice pull-up bar movements as frequently as I want.

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF?
So last year I BAWLED MY EYES OUT because of the bar MU workout in the Open. It was by far my worst placement out of the 5 and I legit could not figure it out for the life of me after months and months of trying. Now I LOVE them and this year the bar MU workout was my best placement :)

Who is your favorite coach?
I'm just going to throw it out there that I've had my fair share of coaches throughout my life. Guys, I played A LOT of sports for A LOT of different people. The coaches at KOP are genuinely different in the best way possible (I think Aimee breeds them?). They truly care about us as athletes and people, and that's not something you'll find very often in an entire coaching staff. Please understand how lucky we all are to have them! Of course, the one that stands out for me is Giuls. She went out of her way to make me feel welcomed when I first came to KOP. She's spent hours and hours every day helping me with any and every task I've asked from her, never expecting anything in return. She always tells me (and anyone) what I need to hear to improve and has given me confidence in myself by believing in me. :)

I hit an above body weight snatch recently! This is a big deal for me because I have always been AWFUL, I'll say it again, AWFUL at snatching. 
Also, I now macro hard af #macrosohard

I just want to say thank you to all the coaches for this honor! I know there are so, so many awesome people at KOP that you could've chosen so I feel super humbled to get to do this. Thank you for all that you do for us and thank you to the whole KOP community for making it my favorite place in the world to be! And if you ever need someone to dance it out with you, I got yo back.


No comments: