8.01.2016

Athlete of the Month




Congratulations Ashley M!

Hometown: Howell, NJ

Current Location: King of Prussia

Age: 29

Occupation: Project Lead at Vanguard

College: Rutger's University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 1 year, 4 months

Did you ever play sports? Yes, I always played sports competitively growing up and played basketball and golf through college.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? More of a sport than hobby, but I still play golf when I can and volunteer as a coach through the First Tee Program.

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit? Participating in The Open, Festivus and the Brawl! A year ago, I never would've thought I'd be fit or strong enough to compete in a CrossFit competition. But they were all great experiences where I learned how far I can push myself and had such a fun time doing it.

What do you feel that you still need to work on? EVERYTHING! I have a laundry list of skills and movements I need to work on and get better at! But that's why I love Crossfit so much, it's always challenging and forces me to improve. One thing I do want to get better at is listening to my body when it's telling me to sit the f*** down. I tend to overtrain, so I'm trying to be more cognizant of the importance of rest and recovery.

Goals for the rest of this year? Successfully completing WODs Rx!

What's your favorite WOD? I like WODs that include movements I am good at...so any WOD with dubs, box jumps and deadlifts!

How about your favorite food/snacks? I love the Chipotle chicken burrito bowl with guac! I could probably eat it everyday. 

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Nothing has been as intense as CrossFit.

What’s your least favorite WOD? Karen! There's just so many wallballs! 

Favorite lift/movement? Hang/Power Cleans and Deadlifts

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? OHS! If I never saw that in a WOD again, I wouldn't be upset!

What skill re you planning working on in the new year 2015 the most ? The muscle up, ring and bar. I doubt I'll get it this year, so I would love to be able to get one in 2017.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? I guess my knee sleeves, I really like the support they provide and I feel more comfortable during squat movements.

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Overall confidence in myself. When I started last year, I was 65lbs overweight, and very intimidated by the WODs and CrossFit in general, so tended to stay quiet. Because of the amazing community, I was able to open up and build great friendships along the way. CrossFit has completely changed my life and body for the better, but I also have more confidence than I have had in a while.

Who is your favorite coach? I like all of the coaches at CFKoP!! And each one has played an instrumental role in helping me reach my goals and keeping me on track, so THANK YOU! A major reason why I love our gym is because of the coaches, not only am I blown away by their abilities (they're all amazing at CrossFit), but I admire and respect how much they invest in each member of the gym. They're committed to your best interests and willing to support/help however they can. I know I'm in good hands at CFKoP, and I love that!

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. Loving the benchmark WODs this year, because so far I am hitting PRs when I do them! (Hopefully I keep the streak going!) I started CrossFit primarily for weight loss, and since starting I've lost all of the weight I gained, so I'm down 65lbs!! I started zoning in March, it does require preparation and some discipline, but I love the results and plan on sticking with it. I would like to get leaner and stronger, so I'll be focusing on that as my new goal.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Congrats, Ashley! You so deserve this.

Unknown said...

Congrats Ashley!

Aimee Lyons said...

congrats Ashley!