1.01.2019

Athlete of the Month: Jeff Paul





Get to Know Jeff..... Q & A:

Hometown: Abington, PA

 Current Location: West Conshohocken

Age: 35

Occupation: Manager of Gene Mediated Cell Therapy Programs at WuXi Advanced Therapies

College: Marist College

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 5.5 years

Did you ever play sports? Swimming was my primary sport from age 6 through college. I was captain of both my HS and college teams. I picked up Rowing while at LaSalle HS and actually received an academic grant from the rowing club at Marist College.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Hmmm.. cool hobbies… well most people know I’m a huge nerd, but if you didn’t now you do! So all my hobbies are super cool to me LOL! I cant say no to Legos, I go to the Lego convention annually. I watch, read, and collect all things Star Wars. I was once world ranked in Star Craft 2 (its a computer game lol). I have every single one of my original console game platforms at my house, sooo yes I’m a gamer also although time for that is rare these days. Lets see... what else… I’ve snowboarded all over the US and in Western Canada, I’ve surfed up and down the East Coast as well as Costa Rica and Hawaii. I take a lot of pride in my landscaping, I like photography… oh and I have a Motorcycle!

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? My biggest achievement in Crossfit in general… Honestly, it actually wasn’t fitness related. My biggest achievement was finding out that my goofy weirdness is nothing to be ashamed of lol. I know that sounds super cheesy but I used to be the one of the shyest people you could ever meet. I was uncomfortable in new settings and around new people, I wouldn’t speak up or speak out for fear of being mocked and all that negative stuff. Crossfit changed all of that. Having grown up with and in traditional sports, there was a certain culture that was perpetuated that was exclusive. But the Crossfit culture was the exact opposite, totally inclusive of everyone for everything and it allowed my to open up and be me!

What skill have you been working on all during 2018, and did they become successes? Believe it or not, running! And Yes I would say its become a success. I’m not setting any land speed records, but I’m able to look at runs in wods and actually recover while running faster then I used to!

Goals for the 2019 year? Recently I started focusing on my Olympic lifting. In 2019 I’d love to be able to consistently hit a 225lbs Snatch and Clean and Jerk over 300Lbs.

What's your favorite WOD? Anything that has high skill, heavy barbell, and zero burpees!

How about your favorite food/snacks? Donuts, Twix, Oreos!

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? The winter training my college swim team would do. Between semesters we would stay on campus and do 3hr in water practices twice a day for about 3 weeks Monday to Friday, a 4 hour practice Saturday morning and off Sundays… you wonder why I’m weird lol

What’s your least favorite WOD? Couplet Amraps for 15+ minutes… gross.

Favorite lift/movement? Everything but Burpees!

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Burpees lol!

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Hmm… that I own? I’d have to say my sweet pink and blue jump rope and my NoBull backpack. Favorite gear at the box… the new black Oly Bar aka “The Shadow Bar”.

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? I would have to say my biggest improvement would be my fitness and nutritional knowledge, had I known 10% of what I do now when I was in HS or college who knows what could have happened!

Who is your favorite coach? I feel like this is a trick question… almost like “does this make my butt look big?” HAHA! I love all of them!

 PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. Oh man… umm… Being featured on RP Strength was pretty cool! And being named KOPs January AOTM is freakin AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for this and for being such an awesome and welcoming place to hang out and do fitness things with so many great people!!!

No comments: