12.01.2017

December Athlete of the Month




Congratulations Michael C!!

Hometown: Towanda, PA. (translates to "burial ground" in the Algonquian Native American tribe from that area)

Current Location: Chesterbrook, PA Age: New to the 40 club

Occupation: Get ready...it's a mouthful.....Director of Nursing Resources, Staff Education, Professional Development and Magnet Program at Hahnemann University Hospital.

College: Undergrad at Marywood University, graduate degree from Drexel University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 2 1/2 years

Did you ever play sports? Tennis in high school. I have always been an active person enjoying swimming and biking, and hiking.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Might sound silly, but I am very much into sewing and quilting. I am currently working on making the biggest, best t-shirt quilt out of the the t-shirts from the wall at the box. I have been working on this project since January of 2017....its close to being finished. Some members of the box had the chance to see it in person. Aimee and members of the box, I promise it will be done soon!

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in the 2017 year? Bar muscle ups! Of all gymnastic movements, this is the one I wanted the most and it happened early in 2017. I recently practiced stringing them and have been able to string three! WOO HOO! Other achievements include participating in the Open, Brawl in Burbs and recently Brawl in Fall. These events encourage me to get out of my comfort zone and push myself more than what I would in a WOD.

What do you feel that you still need to work on? Endurance and not allowing my mind to get the best of me. These two seem to go hand in hand. I really try to live by the saying of doing something that makes you uncomfortable at least once a day. I try to live by this in all aspects of my life, personally, professionally, and athletically.

Goals for the rest of this year? Avoid gaining that 7lbs between Thanksgiving and New Year & finish the t-shirt quilt.

What's your favorite WOD? Helen and anything involving gymnastic movements mixed with a little bit of barbell!

How about your favorite food/snacks? Wine followed by wings. The best is spending Sunday afternoons with Kevin at Cedar Hollow Inn having Buck-a-Shucks (oystas on the half shell) wings, and wine!

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Triathlon at Lake Nockamixon in 2015. I wasn't fully prepared for the 60 degree water temp., even though I was in a wet suit. The water was so cold that every time I put my face in the water, my breath was taken away. Knowing where I am now physically and mentally compared to where I was then, I think I am ready to try this type of event/workout again.

What’s your least favorite WOD? Karen, I absolutely refuse to do Karen!

Favorite lift/movement? Favorite lift is clean and jerks, favorite movement anything on the pull-up bars.

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Overhead squats and wall balls.

What skill are you planning on working on as the new year 2018 comes? Need to get back into practicing butterfly pull-ups and handstand push-ups. A lifting skill will be squatting under weight. 

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Hand grips What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Confidence in myself.

Who is your favorite coach? Every coach at Crossfit KOP is AWESOME, but I do need to give props to the those I work with the most, Aimee, Guilia, Stephanie, and Jenna. Each of you encourage and push me to do better all the time. Thank you for your support!

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. I think they are all covered above! I just want to take a moment to thank the KOP community for being one of the most supportive communities I have experienced! Y'all are FANTASTIC!

No comments: