3.25.2013

Get to know your coaches- Mike T.


1.     How long have you been doing Crossfit? Since 2008.  My wife introduced it to me when we were living in San Jose, CA.  She kicked my butt in our first WOD together, and I was hooked.


2.     What certifications do you have? – I completed my L1 in July 2011


3.     What future certifications do you want to get?  I would like to get a Gymnastics cert.


4.     What are your favorite things to coach?  My strength is bodyweight movements.  I think I have a lot of form and efficiency tips to help people get better at these types of movements including pull ups, muscle ups, burpees, and pushups.


5.     Why do you like coaching?  My favorite part of coaching is when that “light bulb” goes on for someone.  When someone can see that they are capable of so much more than they initially thought they were. 


6.     How would you classify your style?  Easy going, yet direct.  I think everyone (me included) needs a push now and then. 


7.     Other interests outside of Crossfit?  I love to do home improvements and see all the changes you can make to your home to improve it.  I also love spending time with my wife Beth and our daughter Emily.


8.     What are you top 2 Crossfit goals for 2013?  I want to do well in the 2013 Open and the SuperFit Games at KOP.  I have a great partner in Sam B. and am pumped to compete with him.


9.     Favorite Crossfit memory?  Completing a 245# Clean and Jerk at the 2012 Summer Slam.  I had never attempted that weight and only had one chance to do it.  It was a proud moment!


10.  What's your "day" job?  I have been in Industrial Gas Sales for 6 years.  Unfortunately, the company I was with recently downsized and I was laid off. 


11.  What would you be doing for exercise without Crossfit?  I would revert to my old “meathead” ways.  Lifting “back and bi’s”, “chest and tri’s”, super sets, negatives, and cable machines.  Ahh, Memories……..!


12.  Favorite cheat foods?  My diet is extremely loose, but I would say Gummy Worms and Peanut M&M’s!!!


3 comments:

King said...

MIke T - Thanks for the memorable 6am WODS - you are an important part of starting my week off right!

Kathleen said...

Mike T - you are my favorite Monday morning 6 AM coach! Could I be any more specific - haha! As King says you start the week off right. You have a lot of good coaching tips to offer even on the moves you don't like such as rowing. Thanks for all you do for us. You are an awesome coach and wonderful person. Now go kick some a** in the open!

Chris P. said...

nice Mike! I think everyone that has met you would agree that you are just a solid guy - respectful, always nice and with a smile, and willing to talk to anyone. One of your best features is your ability to stay humble and openness to learn how to get better. Glad more people got to know you through this. And hey, we do supersets! (Fran - thrusters/pull ups, Diane - deadlifts/hspu's) haha