6.01.2017

Athlete of the Month


Congratulations Alicia Marie 

Hometown: King of Prussia, PA 
Current Location: Conshohocken, PA 
Age: 30 
Occupation: Healthcare Audit Consultant 

College: Widener for a year, then Temple University 

How long have you been a CrossFitter?: Josh McVoy bought me on an on-ramp class in July 2015 because I wasn’t fast enough for his liking in signing up. I started taking it more seriously around March 2016 when I decided I didn’t need Josh’s hand anymore and that I was a big girl. 

Did you ever play sports?: I was a 3 sport athlete at Upper Merion playing field hockey, basketball and lacrosse. Played lax for 1 yr at Widener. 

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share?: I find enjoyment in the fictitious, and have been known to have unwavering enthusiasm for Tolkien and various comic heroes (especially Batman) and have more recently begun buying the actual comics. I also have a thriving mug collection, one mug actually has bat wings. 

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit in the 2016 year?: Bar muscle ups. 42” box jump. 

What do you feel that you still need to work on?: My attitude. Because I have always excelled, or have been reasonably proficient in most sports, I expected to be excelling all of the time - which I have concluded to be a toxic attitude. While I may be able to jump like a little froggie and provide quality competition in most ball sports, it does not serve me in this new game where I pick heavy things up and put them down, and do strange workouts with even stranger names - “Filthy 50”. (Sounds Rated R.) 

Goals for the rest of this year?: Butterfly pull-ups, increase consistency with hitting muscle ups, better commitment to macros 

What's your favorite WOD?: Gwen, Nicole, and Stevie Nicks. 

How about your favorite food/snacks? Almond butter with a banana, Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done?: I once ran a ton of suicides in basketball because I shanked my coach. Worth it. 

What’s your least favorite WOD?: Karen. 

Favorite lift/movement?: I'm most intrigued with the Overhead Squat and the Snatch. 

What’s your least favorite lift/movement?: Deadlift (I always feel like I have “cat in the litter box” face), and the shoulder press (If you can’t make the lift you're stuck looking like Wilson from Home Improvement talking over the fence to Tim the tool man Taylor). Always makes me laugh. 

What skill are you planning on working on as the new year 2017 is here?: Butterfly pull-ups. 100 dubs. Ring muscle-ups. Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear”?: Wrists wraps. I have tiny sensitive wrists so heavier weights hurt their feelings. 

What is your biggest improvement since starting CF?: Confidence in doing complex things like the snatch, MU’s and heavier lifts. 

Who is your favorite coach?: Coach Keith. I’m sure he read this and is walking around the gym like a proud young rooster scratching at the dirt. Can you see it? In all seriousness, I have always enjoyed his organized, drill-like classes that are full of clear (and very LOUD) direction with strange and often times hilarious wit. He takes time to watch everyones movement and has a remarkable ability to diagnose where you may have gone wrong. And in that ability, he’s very adept at clearly communicating those diagnostics, and usually without pampering your feelings, which is why I sometimes hate his goddamn face. Keith also has a pretty cool resume having qualified and competed in the 2015 American Open - which makes me feel secure when listening to his 8ft commands while he’s yelling them 2ft away. Overall - I have always enjoyed his classes. They are the perfect balance of work and play. He’s a wealth of knowledge, and a completely fascinating pain in the ass leader. I think everyone can agree with that. We are all fortunate to have such a wonderfully diverse coaching staff. Everyone brings a special personality, ability, and knowledge-set to the table. Keith aside - thank you to all the coaches for making me a better athlete each day. I could write a novel about each one of you, but Aimee and Tim won’t stop harassing me to get this thing in. 

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?: Unexpectedly snatched 108#, 125# 3RM overhead squat, 180# 3RM back squat, 20 straight classes without flipping Keith off behind his back, and as quick as I wrote about the butterfly pull-ups I think I am managing to pump a few out? I’ll try tonight with Helen. Wish me luck! 

Who can you typically be found working out with?: Shawna. Michael Remer. Marky Mark Stipa. Josh (when we’re not getting separated), LA (when I’m getting separated and need some calm strength.) I think that’s it? Those are usually the people around me. Oh and J'Alona. You know - the regs!

5 comments:

Laura Altimari said...

Proud of you girl!!! ❤️ Nice work. I don't know if it's comforting or sickening that I was able to read that to myself entirely in your voice. Get away from me.

AK47 said...

Congratulations so well deserved. Keep doing what you're doing, you're killing it! I'll never forget the rooster analogy.

Alicia-Marie said...

hahahaha!!!! Thank you ma! �� Also - you can't escape me. And if you try - you'll be back like a lost boomerang.

Alicia-Marie said...

Thank you!!!! You know the exact strut I am talking about too! hahahaha I know you do! 😂 Too funny. Friggen rooster.

Josh McVoy said...

Congrats Alicia! I not only read this in your voice but saw your facial expressions while writing it. Great work this year keep up the motivation and celebrate the accomplishments learn from the defeats!--- swimmer buddy