9.01.2018

Athlete of the Month

Congratulations Tia!

Hometown: Whitehall, PA

Current Location: Bryn Mawr, PA

Age: 32

Occupation: Live my best life, Human Services (drug and alcohol, MH, ED)

College: Drexel University - FOREVERRR in school (insert Sandlot)

How long have you been a CrossFitter? Crossfit 4+ years maybe and then I crossed to the dark side of weightlifting for 9 months solely. I sit, I lift, it’s constantly varied. The grit that CrossFit can give you has transferred over; I have long complexes that are easier to get through because they’re 1:30 where I have to be strong, explosive, and controlled and then… I sit down.

Did you ever play sports? None - I was always an active kid but never got into organized sports.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? I listen to a lot of Podcasts; NPR Radio (stay woke), Serial, S*Town, Wrongful Conviction, USAW, JuggLife, This American Life, Shrugged Life, Burned.

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? Okay so this could sound like a CrossFit commercial if the Games are still a thing? I don’t know how to rope climb because I’m not convinced that I can get down, I don’t like being upside so HSPU or HS walks are out, and I don’t even know if I have the shoulder mobility to swing to do Ring MU. BUT. Couple of years ago I experienced debilitating anxiety; I am one of the most logical people I know, however I could not make sense of how I felt like there was an emergency while I knew there was nothing actually happening. Pure inability to convince myself I was okay. Enter CrossFit: For one hour I was in complete control of myself and my body again, this brought me peace. Further, now with weightlifting I get a continued opportunity to be fully aware and a part of my body, it’s physical, mental, and emotional.

What skill have you been working on during 2018? Putting in the work; Coach Rachel gives me 5 days of programming and grins when something confuses me or forces me to get into a position where I’ve been taking a short cut. Stronger pulls, no bar crashing, bringing the bar with me.

Goals for the rest of this year? Continue to have fun, enjoy the ride, see what happens along the way. Carry the energy that gets given to me by supporting people when they want to improve their lifts for CrossFit or otherwise.

What's your favorite WOD? What’s that? Barbells; DT, Bear Complexes, Holleyman, anything where you have to be technically strong.

How about your favorite food/snacks? Sushi, Pho, Steak, Kill Cliff 2 for $5 people, Oatmeal though I did just learn that there’s some terrible chemical in Oatmeal, and I’m still eating it. Berries.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? There’s workouts that are crazier then CrossFit? #RIPregionals

What’s your least favorite WOD? Running because I don’t do it efficiently; I could probably walk faster then I run.

Favorite lift/movement? Snatch and Clean and Jerk, of course :)

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Sots press, look it up, save the time let’s see who reads this. Imagine sitting in the bottom of a front squat, ok, now do a strict press. It’s like a thruster without standing up. Who does that? Me, I do that.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear”? I didn’t use a belt, wrist wraps, thumb tape, knee sleeves, none of that until these last 18 months. I mean like never, like PR attempts for back squats or deadlifts no belt. Now, wrist wraps and thumb tape, I have child thumbs and baby wrists.

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF/Lifting? What I say, what I say is maybe AO2, maybe work ethic. Having fun, not taking myself too seriously, learning how to support others. 

Who is your favorite coach? Rachel has solely coached me for 9 months; we set a goal and we did it. But I appreciate all the evening coaches because I think y’all give me that few extra mins to finish my work. Jenna, Manisha, Justin, Jill in your own ways you’ve given me extra mins, good jobs, allowed me to lift in the environment in the main gym. It means a lot I hope my gratitude shows in my efforts to move quickly and help clean up.

Thank you Aimee for Crossfit KOP. You have a way of making everyone feel valued and individually important regularly; no small feat, your commitment to the community shows. I appreciate the time you take to show interest in my lifting journey.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?..Snatch is fire right now 2 PRs in the last month, programming works when you do it. Nutrition, well eat clean it makes the biggest difference, if it has a face or grows from the ground eat it. :)

No comments: