1.01.2016

January Athlete of the Month


Congratulations Christine!


Hometown: Willow Grove, PA

Current Location: Norristown, PA

Age: 36

Occupation: Medical Appeal Writer

College: Central Virginia Community College, Randolph Macon Woman’s College

How long have you been a CrossFitter? Since February 2, 2015

Did you ever play sports? – Yes, I played Basketball in High School for 2 years as a forward guard. I also did Track for 4 years doing Shotput, Discus and Javelin. I have also been practicing martial arts since I was 15 years old reaching my 2nd degree Black belt in Kenpo Karate.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? – I don’t know anything about uncool hobbies but I do like to do photography on the side when I can. I especially love black and white photography. I try to play the guitar, operative word there is Try!

What is your biggest achievement at CrossFit? – My biggest achievement so far has been my first Olympic lifting meet. I have always competed over the years in various sports, martial arts more than anything. Those competitions were a lot more rowdy than lifting meets are but it felt great to have something to work towards again. It was especially challenging getting used to the quiet… hahaha…. But competing and getting 2nd in my weight class was definitely a great achievement for me.

What do you feel that you still need to work on? – Well this is a loaded question. Can I give a list of things I don’t need to work on? I still need to work on almost everything.  The thing I want to work on the most is my pull ups, squats and double unders.

Goals for the rest of this year? – My goals for this year are to be able to do my first strict pull up EVER. I want to continue to increase my weight for my Olympic lifting so I can finally lift with the Big Girls. Once of my biggest goals I have for this year is to complete my Personal trainer certification and work towards obtaining my Level 1 Certification.

What's your favorite WOD? – My favorite WOD is Randy and my second Favorite WOD is Grace (I’m coming for you Rachel)

How about your favorite food/snacks? – Favorite food is sausage (ironic right) Favorite snack is Potato chips, I will eat all of the chips and no I can’t eat just one.

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? – Closest workout I’ve come to crazy outside of CrossFit was Insanity. I completed 3 rounds of Insanity which was terrible.

What’s your least favorite WOD? – KALSU, it’s the one workout where I felt like I was going to die doing it!! And Big props to Alona for pushing through it that day!! She was a real trooper through the whole thing.

Favorite lift/movement? – Deadlift, because it always fun to do no matter what my mood. Especially if I need to blow off some steam

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? – Thurster, because as Coach Giulia would say “thursters are just a terrible movement.”

What skill are you planning working on in the New Year 2016 the most? – Besides my pull up, I still want to work on running (Sorry Steph) Not in a huge way but just being able to do a short distance, even if it’s on the treadmill. I just refuse to accept that limitation in myself.

What’s your favorite piece of workout "gear"? – Wrist wraps, because I feel tough when I wear them and I can lift all of the weights!

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? - I have a couple of them. First, I was able to run again for the first time in years. Although it wasn’t very far I take any distance as a good distance. I was able to do box jumps for the first time in my life. Also my flexibility has gotten better for my squat.

Who is your favorite coach? – That’s a tough call because they are all so awesome!! So I will say all of the coaches are my favorite. But of course I have some extra love for Stephanie who has been a HUGE help to me with my Olympic lifting and I am forever grateful to Giulia because she was my original coach and she is always motivating in class. I always love taking class with Aimee, Jason and Tim because they have so much positive energy and Keith is always good for his intensity in class. Rachel you’re just awesome, sorry I keep missing your classes. Gordy, I hope to be as awesome as you when I grow up.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. –
-          PR’s - somehow I keep hitting PR’s in overhead presses. I’ve PR’ed my Push Press, Strict Press, my Snatch and hang snatch and Clean and Jerk and Hang Clean.
-          Goals Reached – I am now in a position where I don’t feel pain in my knees when I walk and I feel more capable. My mobility has increased in some areas (still needs work in others). My squat has gotten better which I was working on very hard and getting more hip flexibility.
-          Nutrition Highlights – I have adopted a paleo way of eating. 1) Because I get better results in my training. 2) It helps with my swelling and my allergies. 3) It has allowed me to come closer to my fitness goals than anything else I’ve ever done.

5 comments:

AK47 said...

Congratulations, Christine! You've made so much progress since starting crossfit you should be proud. Your deadlifts are awesome. Thank you for the shout out, trust me no one hates KALSU more than I do!

Shawna said...

Congratulations Christine!

So well deserved! Your lifts and progress have been amazing to witness. Can't wait to see what 2016 has in store!

Unknown said...

Thanks Alona and Shawna!!

Stephanie Vincent said...

You should never ever limit yourself, but I don't have to tell you this because you are a shining example of someone who doesn't. And if you stay smart and patient anything is possible.

Gordy said...

Congratulations Christine! I'm so proud of you!