11.01.2019

Athlete of the Month: Emily Gallo




Get to Know Emily G.... Q & A:

Hometown: Cheltenham pa

Current Location: Lafayette hill pa

Age: 31

Occupation: respiratory therapist. Worked at children’s hospital of Philadelphia in their intensive care units for 8plus years. Currently just moved jobs to a local doctors office for a day shift gig a few days a week. Mostly home with the kids though.

College: West Chester University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? A little over a year.

Did you ever play sports? Played soccer throughout school/high school and for fun in adult league in college. Use to like running for fun... but that has since changed since college too.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Ummm CrossFit? Ha Survive the tiny humans. I am Home with the kids a lot. I have 5 year old girl and almost three year old boy. My main hobby is to keep them alive and survive the day. My nerd hobby is reading. I am In some bookclubs with neighbors. Big fictional reader. Otherwise CrossFit.....

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? Showing up and not cherry picking the works out anymore. Got my first toes to bar in the open this month and my first kip pull Up! Big goals that I was happy to reach!

What skill had you been working on all during 2019, and did they become successes, yet? Kipping pull ups... toes to bar. I used to always grab the 10lb wall ball... now I go for the 14th, my speed is not there but it’s something. I use to always just stay at 55 for every weight... For every movement, I Would scale big, But realized I can do more and feel more comfortable with the weights now. Been working at the dubs for a long time now. Hate the dub unders. Have not been successful. But been practicing A LOT.

Goals for the whole 2020 year? Dub Unders. I like to check one goal off.... before moving to the next. Lots of goals. But just focusing on dubs

What's your favorite WOD? Fight gone bad. It was my first CrossFit work out at kop with Aimee. It kicked my butt I couldn’t walk Down the stairs the next day. But I emailed Aimee to sign me up the next morning. I remembering using a 6lb wall ball, 13in box and the red plates on the barbell. A lot has changed since then!

How about your favorite food/snacks? Pizza. Wine. Sushi And mostly them together. Very CrossFit appropriate

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? CrossFit Hahahaha I would like to do a tough mudder though

What’s your least favorite WOD? The one we just did with dubs... the entire WOD. Flight simulator or something. Threw my rope at the end, I may have yelled a lot too.

Favorite lift/movement? Snatch. But it’s a work in progress.

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Currently DL. Weird I know. I have a mental block going on with them. Been stuck at a weight, but more because of a previous injury with them.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Favorite.... the chalk in the gym lol but sometimes I get caught taking a break pretending to chalk my hands haha. I love hate my jump rope, more hate right now though.

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? Everything. Showing up. I started with a 6lb wall ball. Couldn’t do push ups. Never touched a barbell. Not sure I knew what a barbell was even. I’ve lost some weight. Never felt better. It was outside my comfort zone to walk in the doors, but so glad I did. Thanks to a friend who encouraged me to do it!

Who is your favorite coach? Jenna by far. She knows where I started and how far I have come. Jenna did my fundementals. She knows what those starter push up looked like, she knows how light I was with everything. I feel like her and Aimee understand the big leaps I have made, even though they are small to others. Cannot forget OG Aimee. I don’t know how she teaches the same movement over and over throughout the years and is just generally happy to be doing it. Aimee pushes me, sometimes a little to happily in the 930am after her huge yeti coffee... during her fast. Aimee helps me visual see things better with the continue kip videos I show Her. She is just generally happy for the small strides or big strides that each individual makes in the gym. Aimee gives some of the best scaling options so you feel apart of the WOD when it is something to advanced for some levels. She can kick serious butt in the gym but’s she’s down to earth, can talk the mom therapy with you... can talk anything with you and make you feel like a good member of KOP. Cannot forget Rachel and Evie!! Love my weekends and the extra homework that Rachel gives me. Also t-clap Wednesday with Gordy! Everyone is amazing! Steph too! I can’t thank her enough! But Steph also is the biggest helper during the 930am so I can get my work out in, Mental break while she hangs with my son Mikey. She Alway ask after how thing went. All the coaches and the gym members are great coaches!!!

No comments: