6.01.2019

Athletes of the Month: Alex Thomloudis




Get to Know Alex Th.... Q & A:

Hometown: Bridgeport

Current Location: Ambler, soon to be Tucson Arizona :-( sad but good

Age:32 Occupation: Teacher

College: Temple University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? I think it’s been 3 years now???

Did you ever play sports? YES! I was a swimmer my whole life (so glad not to be in chlorine ever anymore), rower and water polo in middle/high school.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Well on my free time, my activities include eating and drinking, so I guess those could be considered hobbies?? I like to be outside in the sun whenever I can and LOVE to travel...Greece is the best place on Earth!!

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? OMG EVERYTHING! I cannot believe all of the skills I now know how to do. I never in my life would have ever done a handstand push up, climbed ropes 12 times in a row, or jump over a wall. It is SO fun and I love trying new skills and working on them daily. What skill had you been working on all during 2018, and did they become successes? CHEST TO THE FING BAR!!! FINALLY!!!!!

Goals for the whole 2019 year? I’d like to get better at strength. I’m more of a AMRAP kinda girl, I could go on and on. I’d also like to get quicker at handstand push ups, attempt doing butterfly pull ups in the WODs, maybe get some handstand walks across the mats.

What's your favorite WOD? AMRAPs, filthy 50 is fun! Anything high intensity where I can try to push myself just a little longer.

How about your favorite food/snacks? Question is, what do I not like. I just love salty food - chips, fries, pizza, everything BAD. What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? Swimming up and down a pool a bajillion times - so boring. It’s not that crazy, but you think a lot when you’re all alone swimming lap after lap, and then you feel crazy.

What’s your least favorite WOD? I guess anything involving thrusters, the really do suck.

Favorite lift/movement? I’ve been getting more into the clean and jerk. I like deadlifts and overhead squats are fun. And of course, WALL ASCENTS.

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Snatch, ew - though, I’m getting better, so it’s growing on me a bit.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"? Gotta have the right pants. If your spandex aren’t snug and on right, it just ruins everything. :)

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? I guess just trying new things, getting the fear out of your head and just going for it has been such a thrill!

Who is your favorite coach? I just absolutely adore every coach! Each coach has personally affected me in a different way and has helped me reach so many many goals. I don’t even think I could express the right amount of words for how awesome each of you coaches are. You all make coming to the gym so enjoyable!!! Just a couple shout outs: Steph, thank you for helping me get my first double unders in the open a few years back AND helping me get to my chest to bar goal this year!!! Jilla, thank you for making me do handstand push ups :) Jenna: thank you for teaching me how to breath one day, you literally changed me life. Keith, thank you for helping me get over 100 in the clean a couple years back (I got an advent ticket for that) now I am at 130 bam! and you rock at fixing everything I do wrong. Gordy, thank you for just making me happy, I just love those midday workouts with you!!! Jason, thank you for making me laugh! Aimee, thank you for having the best gym ever! You have helped me in so many ways, especially keeping me on my HEELS :) You are awesome and it is all thanks to you we have this awesome community. Manisha, Rachel, Justin, Evie, Tim (hope I am not forgetting anyone), I never take your classes BUT you guys are awesome!!!!! 

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?.. Pretty much everything I complete is my goal and I’m super proud of myself lol. My nutrition is nothing worth speaking of, but I have been doing better at not eating all the kids snacks at school this year :) Just want to leave with saying crossfit KOP is the best community I have ever been involved with and I’ll miss you all when I move to Arizona. You all are amazing people!

I'm really going to miss working out with you all. I will be back to visit though don’t you worry!!

No comments: