8.01.2018

August Athlete of the Month: Matt Donnelly




Hometown: Hanover, Massachusetts

Current Location: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

Age: 36 Occupation: Sales Manager at Sungard Availability Services

College: Moravian College (undergrad), Drexel University (MBA)

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 21 months

Did you ever play sports? CYO Volleyball for 1 year. I played backyard baseball when I was 7 - got clocked in the head with a metal baseball bat, and never wanted to play sports again.

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share? Huge fan of traveling (Costa Rica is my favorite destination) and spending time with friends sampling new restaurants. I’ve also tried out for close to 10 reality tv shows…. One day. In the meantime, I will continue to do background work for tv shows and movies.

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in general? Having friends and colleagues from years past compliment me on my small accomplishments along the way, means the world to me. Collectively, they are my biggest achievement.

What skill have you been working on during 2018? Kipping pull-ups – I have a tendency to kip and then add a strict pull-up at the end. But, I was able to string together 10 pull-ups the other day. I’m going to keep at them.

Goals for the rest of this year? Handstand push-ups, Muscle-up (Bar or Ring), 300lb Deadlift – ultimately, get stronger each week by consistently pushing myself to work hard while eating a balanced diet.

What's your favorite WOD? I didn’t do so hot during this WOD at King & Queen – but, it gives me something to work toward – getting rid of my nerves and finishing in the 12 minute time cap: 50 Deadlifts @ 135# 21-15-9 Pull-ups Double Jump Bar Facing Burpees 50 Deadlifts @ 135#

How about your favorite food/snacks? Beef jerky, guacamole, bison quinoa hash, sushi and buffalo chicken dip (not all in the same meal, of course)

What is the craziest workout outside of CF you have ever done? 2 Half-marathons and 1 Spartan Race

What’s your least favorite WOD? The date was June 13, 2018… For Time: 50 Back Squats (75/115#) 50 Pull-Ups 50 Shoulder to Overhead (75/115#) 40 Front Squats (65/95#) 40 Chest to Bar Pull-Ups 40 Shoulder to Overhead (65/95#)

Favorite lift/movement? Deadlift

What’s your least favorite lift/movement? Overhead Squat

What’s your favorite piece of workout "gear"? My wrist-straps and my Reebok shoes

What would you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? My power clean has come a long way! I still have some work to do on extending my hips (it all starts with the hips), but, it is a vast improvement

Who is your favorite coach? Coach Justin – Justin recommended that I give CrossFit a try back in October 2016. He knew of my hesitations. At the time, I thought – “I’m not athletic. I’m nervous. I will make a fool of myself. I won’t belong.” But, given his extra push, I gave it a shot. I’ve learned that he is extremely good at getting me to push myself past what I think is feasible. “You can do it. Don’t settle for I can’t. Be the athlete.” He instills confidence in me that I wouldn’t otherwise recognize. I’m extremely thankful to have Justin in my life, not only as a Coach but as a best friend. The CrossFit community has provided incredible friends throughout the last couple of years. If it weren’t for Justin, I would not have given CrossFit a shot - and I’d be missing out on this amazing community.

PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights? I was a member of a different spot prior to joining CrossFit KOP. I joined KOP in January of 2018 and since then, I have seen drastic improvements in several lifts and skills. Consistency is key – from fueling my body while counting macros to listening to coaches’ queues, I feel so much better having joined our community. Recently, I was able to kick up to the wall without a mat for support, strung together 10 kipping pull-ups, successfully lifted a 285# Deadlift, 200# Back squat, threw the 20 lb. ball to 10 feet consistently, and I was able to make several 20’ Rope Climbs. It is just the beginning! I’m excited to see what this list looks like by the time I am 40!

No comments: