2.01.2018

February Athlete of the Month


Congratulations "Mike Sim"

Hometown:  Wilkes- Barre, PA

Current Location:  Pump City, PA

Age: 39

Occupation: Code and Permit Manager for a local Municipality (It is just a fancy way to say I make sure everything is built properly) and Philadelphia Eagles Fan. 

College: East Stroudsburg University

How long have you been a CrossFitter? 6 years

Did you ever play sports?  I played a ton of sports growing up, but baseball was my favorite.  I played in various leagues and at just about every level.  Well not pro, but…..

Got some cool (or uncool) hobbies you'd like to share?  I really enjoy doing Crossfit competitions with my squad Aviator Selfies (AVS).  The team is led by Jon Pistilli (JP) and myself, and also on the team we have Pan Gulotta and her good friend Dana Dillulo (DD).  We don’t always win (unless it’s scaled, we are scaled champions of the world) but we always have fun.  My other “hobby” of sorts is coaching my daughter in softball.  It can be very difficult rounding up twenty 10 year old girls and trying to teach them something but I am sure it is not much different then what the coaches at KOP do on a day to day basis.  HAHAHA  Last, but not least, die hard Eagles fan!! GO BIRDS!!

What has been your biggest achievement at CrossFit in the whole 2017 year?  I did the nutrition challenge to start off 2017 and found it to be quite successful.  It really allowed me to change some of my bad habits and learn more about healthy eating.  The most successful part of it was that I was able to keep the weight off and in my goal weight “range” for the entire year.  When you eat well it leads to you performing well and ultimately if you can perform well over 12 months it has been a successful year.

What do you feel that you still need to work on?  There are several things I need to work on.  I really need to become more efficient in the bodyweight movements and double unders.  If I had to pick one thing however, it would be “keeping my knees out” on a squat.  I was unaware of this problem until about a year and a half ago when I started to take the nooner.  Thanks Aimee for pointing it out. 

Goals for the rest of this year?  Staying healthy and injury free first. My goal every year is to improve on my performance in the open from the previous year.  I have no grandiose ideas of getting anywhere near some of those monsters we all see on the internet and TV.  I know that if I have a solid year of training and improve on my previous year then all the work I put in was worth it. 

What's your favorite WOD?  If I had to pick one that already has a name it would be Grace.  I really feel that when a bunch of people are standing around throwing stuff on the board and making up their own rep schemes and time domains 5 minutes before you are ready to do work, there is nothing better than that.  It is just pure fun.

How about your favorite food/snacks?  I love cookies.  Love Love Love them.  My favorite would be chocolate chip with the M & M's in them. I also love donuts.  They are a gift that everyone should partake in every once in a while.

What’s your least favorite WOD?  Sooo many, but I think Karen has to take the cake on this one. 

Favorite lift/movement?  Although they are hardly ever in a Crossfit work out, I would have to say bench press and bicep curls.  Nothing can beat a good Wednesday mid-morning Bro Sesh that includes blasting the chest and arms.  Right Gordy?

What’s your least favorite lift/movement?  I cannot do pistols so I will not even count them as my least favorite movement.  That title will fall to burpees especially with the new standard.  I never thought it was possible to get no repped on a burpee but I see it in my future.

What skill are you planning on working on as the new year 2018 is here?  Stringing things together.  I would love the ability to string bar muscle ups in bunches.  Also, “SUMMER BODY STARTS IN THE WINTER” so it is time to get after it.

Whats your favorite piece of workout "gear"?  I would have to say my wrist wraps.  Whether or not it’s a good thing I don’t know, but I cannot remember the last time I did a wod without them.  They have become almost my security blanket.

What you say is your biggest improvement since starting CF? I have enjoyed in other people’s accomplishments just as much or even more than my own. I workout with a pretty steady crew at the nooner and we genuinely root and enjoy each other’s company.  To see some of them putting in the extra work to get better really takes determination and want and that is a value not everyone has. To see people get PRs or a muscle up for the first time is an exciting thing.  I found a community I really love being around and cheering for.

Who is your favorite coach?  I do appreciate and enjoy what each and every coach brings to the table, but I have been taking the nooner for the last 18 months or so and have noticed a considerable improvement in all my movements. So since Aimee coaches most of those nooners I would have to say her.  I find it pretty cool how she can teach a class and at the same time while you are in the class you feel like you are getting individual training. 


PR's to mention? Goals Reached? Nutrition highlights?..  One of the proudest moments of the 2017 campaign was finishing in second place in the Crossfit Partners Online Comp Mid-Atlantic Region for Mixed Partners in 35-39 division with Pan Gulotta.  We both put in a lot of work on a daily basis and I am super pumped how well we did.  #trust

4 comments:

Pam said...

Well deserved! #AVS4life

DD said...

Congrats Mike! You’re awesome!! #trust #ddandpanaretherealcaptains

Gordy said...

Will always be ready for a brosesh with you!

Laura Altimari said...

Of course a guy from Pump City, PA would enjoy a good Bro Sesh! ;) Mike, you are the man. I enjoyed reading your responses. I need to fit in a good number of nooners this month for some quality Mike Sim time.